View the Punky Pig video
Think back to when you were learning to read…
- Did you know about the importance of punctuation? Do they pause at the end of the line?
Meet Punky Pig
Punctuation is important. Have you seen the memes that show the difference between “Let’s eat, Grandpa” and “Let’s eat Grandpa”?
Punctuation helps the reader understand text.
- A comma means pause and a period means take a longer pause
- A question mark can be indicated by raising the pitch of your voice a little.
- An explanation point can be indicated by raising the volume of your voice.
- Sometimes students will pause at the end of a line of text, rather than at the end of a sentence. By reading punctuation correctly, it will also help them to write as they will know intuitively what punctuation to use.