Think back to when you were learning to read…
- Did someone cover up the pictures and tell you to stop cheating by looking at them?
Meet Detective Dan
Did you know that using pictures is an important decoding and comprehension strategy?
Use pictures to help your child in several different ways:
- Look at the picture and see if it gives a clue to figure out a difficult word so you can make an educated guess;
- Look at a picture and see if you can guess what might happen next;
- Look at a series of pictures to confirm the order of a story; or
- Look at the picture and relate it to another story you’ve read or to something in your life (for example, a picture of a playground: talk about your favorite playground, a fun time you’ve had on a playground or a different story which talks about a playground).